Monday 11 March 2013

Hitting the nail, what is Oldhammer?



I’ve had an idea for a regular post knocking around my head for a few weeks now. I’ve noticed a number of posts by fellow Oldhamerers detailing exactly what Oldhammer means to them. Often but not always the opinions expressed are a little to a lot different from each other but rarely do they show outright contradictions. In these regular posts I’d like to link to meaningful expressions of what Oldhammer means to various Oldhammerers around the Oldhammersphere. Please do follow the link to what may be a fairly old post, have a good read and perhaps leave a comment here or even there (preferably both). So please remember these are people’s opinions, we may disagree with some points and I’d love to here why but there is no wrong or right. I’ll leave my own opinions until the comments so as not to muddy waters before hand.

To start us off I figure it would be good to return to the chap who first coined the phrase Oldhammer and have a look at his philosophy. From Zhu this dates back to October 2011 and is perhaps more of a list than a philosophy but we have to start somewhere:






3 comments:

  1. At the core of Oldhammer is the concept of 'Social Contract' wargaming.

    All gamers can, in isolation, dream up all sorts of crazy ideas, but when Oldhammerers meet they are mature enough to collaborate on making a game fun for all parties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me it means playing with the rules that worked (3rd ed. for me) and were complete in one volume. No army books or rules updates, if you want to create your own armies or fight in your own setting that's fine. It's open ended, leaving any details to be hammered out in game play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always good to return to primary sources & for me Zhu says it all.I am glad to have his guiding principle before me as I work towards collecting two armies for scenario based gaming with 2nd ed.
    cheers
    Alan

    ReplyDelete